Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join
Community Search
News & Press: Hot Topics

Call to Action: CMS 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule

Tuesday, September 22, 2020  

PLEASE ACT NOW


Dear Virginia Doctors of Chiropractic:


In August the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released the proposed 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule. Under the proposed rule, the conversion factor would be reduced from $36.09 to $32.26, effective January 1, 2021. This reduction is the result of mandated budget neutrality to accommodate for new spending associated with the implementation of changes to Evaluation & Management (E/M) coding payments to many provider types. This Budget neutrality mandate basically creates “winners” and “losers” among provider types, as CMS is looking to reduce rates for many providers to offset the 2021 payment increases for E/M services.


Unfortunately, in this proposed rule, chiropractors are losers. The proposed rule calls for significant payment reductions for chiropractic services. The combined impact of reductions to the work relative value units (RVU) (-7%) and the practice expense RVU (-3%) for chiropractors will mean a total decrease of 10%.If implemented as proposed, these drastic reductions will negatively affect the ability of Medicare beneficiaries across the nation to access chiropractic services, due to chiropractors being financially unable to care for Medicare patients.


In an effort to stop these significant cuts, the UVCA has joined other state chiropractic association members of ChiroCongress to submit a comment letter to CMS. [Click here] for a copy of that letter.


THE OTHER VITAL PART of this effort is lobbying Congress to ask them to step in and stop the cuts by waiving Medicare’s budget neutrality mandate. [Click here] for “Medicare 2021 Fee – Intro templates for Patients and DCs”, which provides talking points and templates to make this easy for you, your staff, and your patients.


We are putting together social media posts and patient hand-outs to help get the word out.  If you haven’t already done so, please “like” the Virginia Chiropractic Association on Facebook so you will get them as soon as they are ready for your own social media and patient education purposes.


Time is of the essence.  We appreciate your action and support!

Sincerely,

 

Chris Perron, DC
UVCA President

Forwarded by:

Julie K Connolly, FICC
Executive Director


more Calendar

9/8/2020 » 12/5/2020
Rad Tech Ltd. Certification Program & Exam

10/17/2020 » 12/15/2020
2020 Fall Convention -- Virtual

11/4/2020 » 11/18/2020
Chiropractic in a Post-pandemic World: NYCC Webinar Series

Featured Members

Online Supporters:

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal